This is the privacy statement of ABN AMRO Bank N.V. for the Circl.nl website. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. has its registered office at Gustav Mahlerlaan 10 (1082 PP) in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
The Circl.nl website is an online meeting place, for instance for engaging in dialogue on the circular economy.
You can create a profile on Circl.nl if you wish, and use it to access the community, register for Circl events and contact like-minded people.
Read the privacy statement carefully before making specific choices about using this website and the associated community.
Data Protection Officer
We have a designated Data Protection Officer in our organisation. Their contact details are: [email protected].
What personal data about you do we process and for what purposes?
If you create a profile in the community, Circl will process your:
- first name (and – optionally – surname)
- email address
Circl will use your email address to send you an email confirmation of your registration for an event and to keep you informed of any changes relating to an event you have registered for. Your name will appear on your profile page, together with a photo if you have uploaded one. If you register for an event, your name will be visible to others visiting the events page.
If you wish, you can add the following details to your profile:
- profile photo
- brief account of yourself
- your interests
- the professional area you specialise in
- contact details
If you wish, Circl can adapt these details to add to your profile page.
Facebook log in
If you decide to link your profile with Facebook, Circl will also process the following personal details:
- your first name and surname as shown on your Facebook account
- the photo you use on your Facebook profile
- the email address you use to log in on Facebook
Circl will use this information to allow you to log in on Circl.nl using your Facebook account.
LinkedIn sign in
If you decide to link your profile with LinkedIn, Circl will also process the following personal details:
- your first name and surname as shown on your LinkedIn account
- the photo you use on your LinkedIn profile
- the email address you use to sign in to LinkedIn
Circl will use this information to allow you to log in on Circl.nl using your LinkedIn account.
- If you specify that you’d like to receive Circl newsletters, Circl will use your email address to send them to you. You can unsubscribe from the newsletter at any time, for example by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the footer.
- If you accept cookies (including social media cookies), Circl will use your IP address to make it easier for you to navigate the website, improve the website and/or display content from other apps such as YouTube or Twitter. Find out more about using cookies in the Cookie Statement.
Public or private profile
If you’ve added a photo to your profile, it and your name will be visible to all website users when you register for an event, regardless of whether you have set your profile to “public” or “private”. The same information will also be visible on the home page of the community. Only your profile page itself won’t be visible if you’ve set your profile to “private”. So other members of the community won’t be able to see your profile.
If you’ve added contact information and more detailed information such as your interests, they will only be visible to community members who have created a similar profile, and not to all visitors to the website. Click on “update profile” to change the settings of your profile to “private” or “public”. The advantage of having a public profile is that others can contact you.
On what basis do we process your personal data?
We have the right to use your personal data if we have a legitimate interest in doing so. We must then be able to demonstrate that our interest in using your personal data outweighs your right to privacy. We therefore carefully balance all the relevant interests. For instance, we’d like to offer you Circl products and services. But you can unsubscribe at any time; simply click on the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any email.
We’ll also process your details to perform the agreements we make with you, deliver our services and meet our statutory obligations.
Do we share your personal data with others?
We work with other companies that help us provide our services, such as ICT service providers and web designers. We are not permitted to pass your personal data on to them without good reason. This is governed by statutory rules. We carefully select these companies and conclude clear agreements with them on how they are to treat your personal data. We ourselves remain responsible for your personal data.
How do we decide how long to retain your personal data?
We won’t retain your data for longer than we are legally allowed to, and only where necessary for the purposes outlined above. This means that the length of time we retain your personal data can vary depending on what it is used for. At the end of the retention period, your personal data will be deleted, anonymised or saved to a limited degree for archiving purposes.
If you delete your account, all your data will be removed except for what we are required to retain by law. You can delete your account by sending an email to [email protected].
If you register for an event with us, you will also need to specify whether you’d like to be sent the newsletter and receive general emails. You can unsubscribe later if you wish by replying to any of the mailings or the newsletter.
You can always change your preferences for the use of your personal data by clicking on “update profile”.
Information for parents
Circl.nl does not take specific measures to make its output appropriate for children below the age of 16. ABN AMRO therefore advises parents to actively monitor their children’s online behaviour.
What are my rights as a user of Circl.nl?
- You have the right to inspect all the data relating to you that Circl retains.
- If this data is incorrect, you can ask us to rectify it.
- In some cases, you can ask us to delete your personal data.
- You can also ask us to temporarily restrict the use of your personal data.
- And you have the right to register a formal objection to the use of your personal data if you do not feel that ABN AMRO’s interest in using it outweighs your right to privacy. Please be advised that we may refuse your objection.
- You can also ask us to return the data you have made available to us and that we have digitally stored in order to perform this agreement (data portability).
You can exercise these rights by sending an email to [email protected].
Amendments to privacy statement
We will continue to develop and optimise our services. This may mean adding new functionalities to the Circl website. If this is likely to affect the way your personal data is processed, we will let you know promptly. You will receive a message telling you where you can find the amended privacy statement and the date on which it will take effect. If you don’t accept the amendment, you should stop using Circl.nl.
If you have any questions, suggestions or complaints about the website, you can send an email to [email protected]. You also have the right to submit a complaint to the Dutch Data Protection Authority.